Since April 2015 I have completed three VR projects. Each of these experiences were major technical challenges and therefore unique in their own right. However, the commonality they share is that they were each collaborations with developers that I partnered with in order to make them happen and without them these projects frankly wouldn’t have happened.
Three projects is quite the accomplishment and something I’m very proud of, but through this journey I’ve also realized that if I want to make more I need to be more involved in the process of putting them together in the game engine. This is the technical hurdle for every VR creator who wants to make their experience interactive.
Given the past success, why do I have this need? Well, I still haven’t found the right partners who want to commit all their time to developing content and building the Cinehackers brand with me. As a result, I’ve become reliant on these temporary partnerships that seem to dissolve after the project is done.
This model is hard to sustain and I do understand that to engage people for longer periods, I need to find ways to monetize the work and have been thinking a lot about how to kick start this initiative.
The idea that I’ve landed on is that I need to do more rapid prototyping, very similar to what I engaged in at The School of Machines, Making, and Make Believe this past August in Berlin. That’s how I developed The Key. I had a firm deadline and worked like hell to make it happen.
So here’s the plan, I spend one day developing the idea, one month capturing the assets, and one month putting them in the engine. The other important component is to share my process and I’m in the midst of setting up a Patreonaccount to facilitate this.
If this idea is successful and people see monetarily value in the work that I’m producing, I can then bring in more skilled people to work with me.
So here we go and I can’t wait to share what I make!